Monday, January 2, 2012

A Hall of Memories

My face once thought 
it were cut and hewn
from very old stone.
I cannot remember my birth
because it was so 
long ago.

Perhaps it's in my 
ossified and petrified 
memory
which solidly stands like 
a long corridor along which
some can walk and see,
chiseled in my walls,
the bas reliefs of
my bygone days.

Each sculpted image depicts
no childhood of mine
no record of my growth
but timeless lessons learned
and preserved in the unchanging
stone of my personal history.

Maybe you'll pass and learn
something in them which
I forgot.

It's easy to forget when
the hall's long walls
are full of sculptors.
My days and all who fill them
are crowding around these icons
sculpting in many ways
and leaving their signatures.

Some bring sandpaper and
gently smooth my jagged depictions.

Some hammer falls hit
the backs of chisels and chip
this and that part
of my potential to the floor.

Some bring drills and bore
holes in which dynamite 
is stuck, lit and detonated
leaving craters and cavities
in my memory.

But you know,
I remember the explosions
as they send tremors through the stone
and shake my memory to life.
The sound fills the air
and I hear who I am,
in who we all were,
in what we all made.

But you know,
when the blasts fade
and the dust settles
I hear most clearly
the lonely sound of
your footfalls as they
echo down the 
corridor of my past
into my present,

like the snowflakes
which landed today, 
on my face,
and tickled the 
soft skin of my cheeks,
which surprisingly
reminded me
that though many
pass through
the hall of who I am,
I am not at all
made of dead stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment