Friday, January 6, 2012

Still Small Thoughts

Psalm 131

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up,
my eyes are not raised to high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul
like a child quieted at its mother's breast;
like a child that is quieted is my soul.

O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this forth and for evermore.


"You are so young, so before all beginning, and I want to beg you, as much as I can, dear sir, to be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue.  Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them.  Live the questions now.  Perhaps  you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."
Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet, IV

1 comment: