Sunday, October 23, 2011

Aquinas' Prayer Before Study Is Always Good

Aquinas' Summa Theologica (Picture not mine, but similar style)
O INEFFABLE Creator, 

Who, from the treasures of Thy Wisdom,
didst establish three hierarchies of angels,
and didst array them in marvelous order
above the fiery heavens,
and marshalst the regions
of the universe with such artful skill,


Thou, Who art proclaimed
the True Font of Light and Wisdom,
and the Primal Origin
raised high beyond all things.

Pour forth a ray of Thy brightness
into the darkened places of my mind;
disperse from my soul
the twofold darkness
into which I was born:
sin and ignorance.

Thou givest speech
to the tongues of infants,
refine my speech
and pour forth upon my lips
the goodness of Thy blessing.

Grant to me
keenness of mind,
capacity to remember,
skill in learning,
subtlety to interpret,
and eloquence in speech.

Guide the beginning of my work,
direct its progress,
and bring it to completion.

Thou, Who art true God and true Man,
Who livest and reignest, world without end.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment