Friday, September 9, 2011

Rilkekonferenz

So I after I decided not to take Dr. Resler's Goethe und Schiller course, I still asked him if he knew any Rilke scholars, who I should check out for my own research interests.  He specialized in older German Romantics and unfortunately Rilke was too modern to be in his field.  Then I got an email from him saying he had a poster for a Rilke conference and so there are a bunch of Rilke scholars on there.  I picked it up today and lo and behold, it's taking place in Boston at the end of the month; Gott sei Dank! 


The 35th Annual Conference of the International Rainer Maria Rilke Society is being hosted by Boston and Harvard Universities this Sept 22-25th and I will be Rilking my brains out.  The theme is "Rilke's Uncollected Poems 1906-1911" (Verstreute Gedichte), which are at the back of my Rilkean volumes and so I've never really gotten into them, though I've been interested in the changes he takes in form.  The conference covers topics specifically pertaining to Rilke's Uncollected Poems (Stimme und Stummheit in ,,Die Auslage des Fischhändlers", Das Ungebildete im Bild) and also metatopics concerning Rilke and the international community (Rilke in Amerika, Rilke in English, Rilke and Wallace Stevens).

The conference is free for students ($120 for normal folks), so if you're in Boston at the end of September and have any interest in Rilke, German, poetry, philosophy, beauty, mystery, romance, love, breathing, or just plain life, you should probably come.

No comments:

Post a Comment