Sunday, August 28, 2011

My First Poem

The first poem I ever wrote was in German.  It snuck up on me while I was trying to take a nap in March 2010, just a few weeks before I went to study for a summer in Tübingen. If I've ever had a clearly defined pivotal moment in my life that continues to resonate with who I am today, I think it's here. 

Ich bin nicht Dichter,                                  I'm no poet
bin ich nur Theologe                                   I'm only a theologian
mit einem Herz                                           with a heart
so steinig und klein,                                    so small and stony,
aber vielleicht sollen Theologen,                but maybe we theologians
diese Steine werfen                                     should throw these stones
und immer Dichter sein.                              and always poets be.

No comments:

Post a Comment